Thursday, June 4, 2020

EASY NO-CHURN MANGO ICE CREAM!

No ice cream maker...No problem!

I spend a fair amount of time using the internet to search for new and different recipes. I found this one online. I also have tons of cookbooks and love to pour through them. And, of course, I use my own blog to search for recipes I have made in the past that I have forgotten about.
Thanks again to the generosity of our neighbors, Brian and Lori Itule, we are still eating beautiful mangos. Plus my good friend Leslie Jackson gifted me with a few more. This ice cream is super creamy, easy to scoop and totally delicious. The mango flavor is subtle, but just enough so you know what flavor you're eating, and only 3 ingredients!

Ingredients:
2 large ripe mangos (2 1/4 cups mango chunks equal about 2 cups puree)
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream, whipped

Preparation:
Dice the flesh of the mango removing both skin and stone. Puree in a blender or food processor then measure out 2 cups mango puree. Pour the puree into a nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 8-10 minutes. As it reduces you lose some volume, but that is OK. I ended up with 1 1/2 cups puree. When you are able to drag a wooden spoon across the puree and the path remains clean you are at the right reduction.
Cool the puree.
Combine cooled mango and condensed milk in a bowl. Whisk until well combined. I decided not to strain the mango puree through a fine-mesh sieve as I thought the little pieces of mango would bring extra texture and flavor. They did.
Beat the heavy cream until soft peaks are formed. Take a scoop of mango puree and mix gently, but thoroughly until mostly combined. This will lighten the mango puree before the rest of the cream is added.
Keep adding mango mixture and cream alternately gently folding until both are well combined. Do not beat vigorously or use a mixer as you will take the air our of the whipped cream. It will be quite soft.
 
Pour the mixture into a glass container and seal with the lid. Place in the freezer and freeze for at least 12 hours.
 
 
Let it soften a couple minutes before scooping and serving.
 
With all these beautiful mangos, the week before I made Mango Sorbet, which has a more mango-y flavor and no heavy cream or evaporated milk so gentler on the waistline. On these hot pre-summer days in southern Arizona they are both a wonderful treat!
http://cookwithcindy.blogspot.com/search?q=mango+sorbet
Scroll to the end of the blog to get the recipe for Mango Sorbet.
 
I have just enough mangos left to make a Mango Sponge Cake and will share that with you soon!
 
NEXT I AM GOING BACK TO ITALY
 
TO SHARE A RECIPE FOR PORCHETTA!

 
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment