Monday, July 11, 2016

A COUPLE QUICK TIPS and AN IRISH SURPRISE!

The other day I noticed my melon nearing the end of its life. This melon looked like a Cantelope on the outside,  but was bright green inside.  It had a rich, sweet intense flavor somewhat between traditional Cantelope and a Honeydew. I think it is a Galia melon, which is a cross between the two, but not sure.
MELON ICE
Does anyone know what type of melon this is?
I cut the last 3 pieces, peeled and scooped them into my brand, new blender. Up until recently all chores were done manually in my little Irish kitchen so quite a treat to have some gadgets. Remember whipping cream by hand, Diana, with a one-armed beater?

Blend until it becomes smooth and liquid. Pour into a shallow metal pan. Metal is better than glass for freezing. This is the same process as when making granita, which I like to include in a big, hoodoo dinner, especially our Easter feast. (Search for 'granita' to find recipes from previous blogs.) The difference here is that you don't add anything. And, also I use the granita course as a palate cleanser so it will be more refreshing than sweet. Melon ice is sweet!

Just place in the freezer and stir with a fork every half hour or so until you get a fine grain consistency. Great low-cal treat after dinner and excellent way to use the last of your melon before it goes south. I think this would work well with any overly ripe high sugar fruit.

And here is the finished product as green as an Irish field!

HERE'S A TIP...

To soften sugar that has become hard as a rock, add an apple.

Years ago my Mom taught me the trick of softening brown sugar that's become hard. I had never tried with white sugar, but it works equally well. Just place a whole apple in a jar of your hard sugar and in a few days it will become softened.

When I think of Irish food I think of spring lamb, beautiful grass fed Irish beef, or smoked salmon. Seaweed is not the first thing that comes to mind, but here it is! I added the seaweed, fresh tofu and thinly sliced leek to a Miso soup--granted it was packaged instant soup, but I couldn't find miso to make from scratch and this was really simple, quick and delicious!...AND organic!

The seaweed--Atlantic Wakame--is harvested locally in Clare, which is directly across Galway Bay from our house in Spiddal. Follow the land in this photo all the way to the end (right/west) and you will find the Cliffs of Mohr; a site you do not want to miss when visiting Ireland. Please note, it's raining across the Bay right now!
This is the view from our upstairs bedroom.
Across Galway Bay is Clare.

Clare also is where this organic seaweed has been hand harvested for 4 generations. One of the things I love about the Irish is their resourcefulness and commitment to sustainable living. The sea provides a vast opportunity for supporting this way of life.
MISO SOUP WITH WILD IRISH SEA VEG
My husband enjoying a hot bite of healthy Miso Soup
That's all for today 
from a delightfully, sunny Ireland! 
...such a rare treat!

And just so you don't think I've gone all lazy over here with instant soup, I did make a Cream of Celery Soup this morning from scratch with a super-rich 
homemade chicken broth.
Tune in again soon for another episode of:

www.cookwithcindy.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment